Guest post guidelines: Submit a blog today!
Want to submit a guest post to one of Nulab’s blogs? Here’s what you need to know.
Nulab currently runs four separate blogs: Nulab’s company blog, the Backlog blog, the Cacoo blog, and the Typetalk blog. We receive over 70K viewers monthly and have over 25K newsletter subscribers combined.
We’re always looking for inspiring people to share their expertise with our audience of developers, project managers, marketers, entrepreneurs, techies, and startup lovers.
While everyone has something valuable to share, we want to ensure that you’re poised to share the best topics for our audience, so we’ve put together a few guidelines.
We all know “good” content when we see it — it’s comprehensive, yet easy to understand; it’s interesting, but also useful. And, of course, it’s relevant to each blog:
- Nulab’s blog focuses on topics such as tech startups, entrepreneurship, team management & development, hiring, trends, and leadership.
- Backlog’s blog leans towards topics on project management, software development methodologies, team collaboration, and tech.
- Cacoo’s blog is all about diagramming: wireframes, flowcharts, UML diagrams, mind maps, etc. We love hearing how people use diagrams and why.
- Typetalk’s blog is where we explore all modes of communications from the physical to the digital.
Aside from being “good” and relevant, we also have a few basic requirements:
- Be original. The content cannot have previously been published.
- Speak casually. We try to explain concepts in simple terms rather than complex jargon. The exception would be highly technical blogs about development.
- Give credit where credit is due. Attribute any supporting data, quotations, or outside references to their proper source.
Types of posts we love
We continue to develop and uncover new types of blog posts that work with our audience — and ones that don’t. We’re always open to new content ideas, but here are some of our most successful blog post types:
- How-tos: Are you great at breaking down new concepts so that others can implement them on their teams? Our users love useful posts that teach them how to do something new.
- Three popular ways to run a productive Retrospective
- Running your first Sprint Planning meeting
- How to run a successful Sprint Review Meeting
- Keep it simple—How to avoid overcomplicating your flowcharts
- Using a SWOT analysis to develop core business strategies
- 4 ways to use diagrams to visualize your ideas
- Series: Is your idea big enough to share over the course of a series? Our users enjoy learning deeply about concepts through a series of blog posts.
Other types of posts we’re interested in:
- Experiments / Analysis: Share your most surprising/fascinating results and insights from your own experiments and analysis. Please explain each step of your process, including hard data and actionable takeaway our audience can use.
- Graphics: Create a unique infographic or SlideShare with a compelling narrative and supporting data.
We certainly post other types of content as well, and we’re always open to new and innovative ways of sharing valuable information with our followers.
What we don’t want
We have a few things we definitely don’t want on our blogs. We don’t want anything that:
- We’ve already covered. A quick search of our site will tell you if we’ve previously discussed your topic. (We are open to new takes on the same subject though!)
- Seems like a link-building scheme.
- Is too promotional.
- Might be offensive or is inaccurate.
- Feels like a rant against a particular individual or company.
How to submit your blog
Please email marketingus [at] nulab [dot] com with a brief pitch. If your article meets editorial standards and aligns with our content strategy, we will respond to let you know we are interested in your article.
Once we receive your full article, our editorial team will review it and suggest improvements or ask for clarification or further explanation where applicable. After final edits are complete, your post will be published and promoted.
To publish, we will need:
- Your completed post as a shared Google Doc or attached Word doc.
- Any image files. For reference, our blogs are 640px wide.
- A short author bio and profile pic with an optional link to your own website.
If accepted, it can take up to 2 weeks to publish your post.
You are free to re-publish your guest post — all we require is that you add a rel=canonical tag to your post, naming the original post in the canonical URL. Why? Because duplicate content is bad for SEO, and we want your blog to get as much love as possible from Google.
We also ask that you attribute our blog as the source whenever you republish, reference, or quote the guest post online.
Rights and usage
You own your work! However, Nulab reserves the right to include calls-to-action to our content, including but not limited to email newsletters, guides, and other content.